Sophia Wanuna is a Kenyan political journalist and KTN TV presenter.
Sophia Wanuna has gone viral since interviewing Kenya’s Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua aka ‘Riggy G’ on Sunday night 18th of September.
During the interview, Sophia Wanuna was seen posing tough questions to the DP. Some section of Kenyans feel that she was right to ask the questions while others feel that she was unprofessional. This has left Kenyans in a divide.
Music Copyright Society of Kenya boss, Ezekiel Mutua has also called her out after the interview claiming that this was not just some political guy she was interviewing. He added that she should have given Riggy G more time to answer the questions.
Since then Sophia has been at the end of a backlash from Kenyan netizens while MCSK CEO Mutua has also been asked to stick to his lane by some Kenyans defending her.
Here are things that you didn’t know about Sophia Wanuna:
- She started her broadcasting career at MediaMax in 2010.
- She attended Mirithu Girls Secondary School in Kiambu County.
- She was the Christian Union Chairlady
- She joined KTN in July 2011.
- If she did not succeed in becoming a broadcasting journalist, she would try her luck at becoming a detective.
- She holds a Communication and Media Technology degree from Maseno University.
- On Tuesday, July 19th, 2022, she was chosen to moderate the 2022 Deputy Presidential debate held at the Catholic University of Eastern Africa (CUEA).
- The biggest stories she has covered include the Westgate attack, Miguna Miguna deportation and Suguta Valley bandit attack among many other big-time stories.
- In July 2021, she was appointed as the acting Broadcast Content Editor replacing Peter Opondo who was fired over what was termed as ‘unsatisfactory performance.’ This was announced in an internal memo sent to the editorial staff at Standard Media that backdated her appointment to July 15th. “Editorial staff is hereby asked to collaborate with Ms. Wanuna for purposes of keeping our broadcast operations and our promise to deliver quality, in-depth and timely content to the consumer on the course,” the memo reads.
- She is said to have a son. This has however never been confirmed as she prefers to keep her private life away from the limelight.
Click here to watch the interview: